In 1876, a pond (later known as Macfadden's Pond) created by damming Flat Rock Brook, first appears on a map.
William O. Allison, part of his 1924 bequest of a large tract of land is Flat Rock Brook's present day 75-acre "Allison Woods Park".
Englewood Nature Association renamed Flat Rock Brook Nature Association in 1974.
Flat Rock Brook Nature Center interpretive building opens in 1980.
Addition of playground on Jones Road completed in 2001
Our first 46 solar panels are installed in 2009.
"A Walk in the Woods” interpretive exhibit opens to the public in 2012.
In 2013, our Raptor Aviary is added for rehabilitated birds that are used in educational programming.
In 1973, volunteers and community activists worked to preserve the land that is Flat Rock Brook Nature Center. These visionaries had the foresight to preserve the land in a densely populated suburb that was experiencing rapid development. However, the land that is today a nature preserve and education center has a long history of varied land use and conservation successes. Our timeline provides a historical snapshot of our preserve – one of the last remnants of the Palisades Forest – and of the Flat Rock Brook Watershed.
A Timeline History of Flat Rock Brook
1850 Most of the land in what later became the city of Englewood still held in large farms, long, narrow tracts extending from the Overpeck Creek to the Hudson River (so as to include hay meadow, farmland, and woodland), belonging for generations to old settler families (Van Nostrands, Van Brunts, Westervelts, Lydeckers, and Vanderbecks).
1859 The Northern Railroad reaches Englewood. Large-scale logging on the western slope of the Palisades to provide railroad ties.
1876 A pond (later known as Macfadden's Pond), is created by damming the Flat Rock Brook, first appears on a map. On an 1880 map it is marked as "Vanderbeck's Millpond," evidently the site of a sawmill.
1891 Palisade Railroad proposes construction of north-south light rail line through Flat Rock Brook land to Palisade Avenue and beyond, and begins buying land.
1893 William O. Allison buys large tract of land (including what is now the Allison Woods Park section of Flat Rock Brook Nature Center) from Garrett Lydecker.
1900 The Englewood Crushed Stone Co. (later the Prentice Co.), headquartered in Englewood, leases land and operates the quarry off Jones Road for production of crushed stone. Quarrying operations continue until about 1925.